Years ago, I created a presentation which I called, “The 7 Habits of Highly Fit People”. The title borrowed from the seminal Stephen Covey book. I love that book, and highly recommend it. It is one of my all time favorites for personal development. The purpose of my presentation was to give the audience a framework for developing and following a successful fitness lifestyle. However, I have revised my thinking a bit. I no longer use the term “fit” in this regard, opting instead for “well”. You see, a person can be fit without being well. And since my focus is on Therapeutic Training, I have changed the title of this work to “The 7 Habits of Highly Wellthy People”. Most of you know by now that my desire is for each and every one of you to join me in my journey of strong health and vitality. It is my raison d’etre. I know that you don’t have to be and do what everyone else is and does. We can be different. All it takes is strict adherence to simple principles. These principles guide me in my wellness journey, and it is my hope that you adopt them. I have modified my original list as I have grown and experimented. So, here are the 7 habits, continuing with habit 5:
One of my “Junk Food Day” meals
For the purposes of our discussion, nutrition management entails:
- food intake
- water intake
Now of course “The Man” and I disagree on what good nutrition means. And if you go into a bookstore such as Barnes and Noble, you will see literally dozens of different books on nutrition. Some say eat lots of fat; some say avoid fats; some say focus on eating fruits and veggies; some say avoid fruits; there is the “rice” diet; some say eat lots of red meat; some say avoid all meat; some say focus on high protein; some say keep protein very low. And nearly all of them say “sugary” foods like coke and skittles should be avoided and rarely — if ever — consumed. And, by the way, we’ve always known about the 3 macro-nutrients — fat, protein, and carbohydrates. However, in the last couple decades “The Man” has given us a fourth macronutrient — Carbs.
Carbs are universally evil (according to “The Man”). There are countless articles expounding the idea that certain carbs should never be consumed — especially if you are “over 50”. So are they right? Well, I am over 50, and if “The Man” were right, then I should have some pretty serious metabolic issues going on. But, the fact is I don’t have any metabolic issues. So am I just an anomaly? Or is there really a problem with what “The Man” is telling us?
Nutrition management is not a difficult task. It is actually quite simple. Let me share with you the basis for my plan. This is my paradigm. Follow this and you can then construct your own personal plan:
- there are no “bad” foods. There are only foods which are more or less stressful for your body;
- there are certain foods (mostly non-processed) which the human body recognizes as “food”. These are considered “whole foods”. These foods should be the majority of your diet. Your body already has tools and processes in place to break these foods down and properly use the constituent components to build itself up;
- your body thrives on stress. But it must be adaptive stress. This brings us back to “hormesis”. And hormesis applies to all aspects of human physiology. Scientists know well that if you apply just enough stress to the human body (short enough in duration or/and intensity), then the human body responds by getting stronger. You can use this fact in your nutrition management. Since 1995, I have been doing what I call “Junk food weekend”. This is where I allow myself to eat whatever I want for two days. Then for the other five days I focus primarily on eating those foods which are less stressful. When I eat stressful foods (like skittles and soda), it causes fires throughout my body. The skittles attempt to commit armed robbery with my liver cells. The soda tries to burn down all of the houses that I spent the previous five days constructing. But the magic happens with my body’s response! The internal police spring into action and arrest the skittles. The internal fire department immediately puts out the fires. Then guess what happens? My body uses it own genes to create more police! And when the burned houses are re-constructed, my body uses materials that are more resilient than the previous materials! That is the magic of hormesis;
- drink plenty of water. Water is also a “nutrient”. Your body is 65-70% water, and all major bodily functions need plenty of water to work properly. So, get a water bottle, and be sure to drink often;
- supplement. It is highly unlikely that you will get the nutrition you need solely through diet. So, I supplement, and highly recommend you do as well. There are two processes that contribute to rapid cellular aging and breakdown, and they are chronic inflammation and chronic oxidation. Every day, I take fish oil, a fruit and veggie supplement, and vitamin D. Fish oil contains EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid), which your body uses to create anti-inflammatory eicosinoids (hormones), which helps to keep your body out of chronic inflammation. Fish oil also contains DHA (docosahexaenoic), which supports brain health and protects your neurons. Remember what happens to a pristine iron pipe when it has been exposed to the weather? That rusting is oxidation. And you want to keep your insides from rusting too quickly. Fruits and veggies contain thousands of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, as well as substances that have a hormetic effect. Even though I eat a fair amount each week, I take a fruit and veggie supplement daily to ensure I get enough of these substances into my system. Another supplement I take is vitamin D, because it is a hormone that assists many other hormones to function well. And since I get very little sun each day (plus I have darker skin), I don’t produce much vitamin D. There are other supplements which I am sure are great to take. I just have no need for them at this time. But many are worth investigating
So these are my 5 pillars for nutrition management. I hope this helps you to devise your own plan.
Habit 5 — Manage Nutrition!
Remember my vision for us — We will age together! But we will be different from previous generations. I want us to be functional centinarians, free from the chronic diseases and pains so common today. Aging is mandatory. Maintaining functional fitness and vibrant health — well, that’s optional!
Have a super great day, and an even better tomorrow! If you have any questions, please do flip me an email. See you soon!
To Your Health!
Jeff Wooten, “The Body Mechanic”
TurboTax Help Contact Us Page Get Help From TurboTax
TurboTax PLUS Options and pricing are subject to change without notice. Start TurboTax now and prepare your tax return for FREE. Our calculations are one hundred% accurate, guaranteed Plus, TurboTax is up-to-date with United States turbotax software shop：https://www.turbotax-shop.com the most recent tax laws, so that you will be confident your taxes will probably be completed proper. Pays for itself (TurboTax Self-Employed): Estimates primarily based on deductible enterprise bills calculated on the self-employment tax revenue rate (15.3%) for tax year 2017.
This benefit is accessible with TurboTax Federal products https://www.turbotax-shop.com/ except TurboTax Business. We routinely transfer your info to TurboTax State. TurboTax works arduous to safeguard your data so you may file your taxes confidently. Quicken and QuickBooks import not out there with TurboTax put in on a Mac. TurboTax State coaches TurboTax Deluxe 2017 you step by step that will help you get your taxes achieved right.
Safety is built into everything we do. TurboTax works laborious to safeguard your data so you may file your taxes confidently. Now, with TurboTax Live, get a review of your return with an skilled CPA or EA dwell on screen for whole peace of mind. About our TurboTax Product Consultants: Customer support and product help differ by time of yr.
Most Standard: TurboTax Deluxe is our hottest product among TurboTax On-line customers with extra complicated tax conditions. Automatic Transfer of Your Federal Info — Your federal information automatically Download TurboTax Deluxe 2017 transfers into TurboTax State, so you don’t have to sort it twice. Refund Monitor — TurboTax State dynamically displays your tax financial savings to indicate how every deduction affects your refund.
Conveniently deduct the price of TurboTax PLUS out of your federal tax refund before it is deposited into your checking account for no further charge. If you do not want to use a credit card, merely subtract any TurboTax preparation charges out of Download TurboTax Deluxe 2017 your federal tax refund and have the remaining stability deposited straight into your checking account. TurboTax Help and Help: Access to a TurboTax specialist is included with TurboTax Deluxe, Premier, Self-Employed and TurboTax Stay; not included with Free Edition (however is out there as an upgrade).
SmartLook on-display TurboTax Premier 2017 screen help is offered on a PC, laptop or the TurboTax mobile app. Free e-file — With TurboTax State you can e-file your return at no further price. As soon as you’ve got filed, you can observe your tax return on-line or on your cellphone with our TurboTax mobile app to know when your refund will hit your bank account. Not obtainable for TurboTax Business clients.
Use your federal refund to pay for TurboTax. TurboTax provides Download TurboTax Premier 2017 you the power to get your taxes completed proper and your most refund, guaranteed. Your TurboTax specialist will reply your questions and guide you by drawing in your screen. Quicken import not accessible for TurboTax Enterprise. Some rare forms usually are not supported in TurboTax Live, akin to Overseas Earned Earnings.